16 – any fish/coral/inverts you think shouldn’t be kept in aquariums?
There’s sooo many… my biggest one would probably be whale sharks. I’ve seen them being kept over in Japan and I think that they truly can’t be provided for in captivity space wise. On a smaller scale, I disagree with the widespread capture of dragonets for the aquarium trade. While some people may have luck in keeping them, the majority of aquarists just can’t sustain the copepod populations to sustain them. The vast majority of them slowly starve to death, so yes, I don’t think they should be kept in aquariums unless provided for appropriately.
24 – what comment do you get most about your aquarium or the fact that you keep saltwater?
“Isn’t that hard work? Like, they’re a lot of maintenance right?”
Yes… they’re tough, but I’ve found having a strict maintenance routine makes it ever so easy. Check your salinity every day, test your water once a week, frequent water changes and feeding appropriate amounts of food make keeping a reef tank that much simpler.
definitely fancy goldfish, they’re really unhealthy and some just don’t look good at all.
26. what do you think is the most dangerous fish?
Neither of us really know, we heard lungfish can break your hands and anything venomous is p scary. Also, I (Jay) have a great fear of really big redtail catfish that I got on a tour of Shedd Aquarium as a child. I remember the workers telling all the parents to keep the kids as far away from the edge as possible bc the fish could come up to it and suck children in like a vacuum, swallowing them whole… ☹
1. What was the first fish you ever owned?
2. What is your dream tank?
3. What is your favorite fish?
4. What was/is your most troublesome tank?
5. In your opinion, what is the best beginner fish?
6. What is your favorite fishblr blog?
7. Are there any fish that you dislike?
8. Planted tank or reef tank?
9. Favorite type of betta?
10. Favorite type of goldfish?
11. In your opinion, what fish should not be reccomended for beginners (but often is)?
12. Favorite species of shark?
13. What is the best brand/type of food?
14. Favorite invertebrate?
15. What would you do if you suddenly had an extra 200 gallon (757L) tank?
16. What would you do if you suddenly had an extra 10 gallon (37L) tank?
17. If you could remove any product from the shelves of a petstore (ex. Bettacube, ecosphere, fish bowls, etc.), what would it be and why?
18. Have you ever bred fish?
19. Gravel or sand?
20. Favorite non-fish animal?
21. Favorite fish fact?
22. What common myth about fish do you wish you could dispell? (Ex. Can live in bowls, 7 second memory, low maintenance, boring pet, throwaway pet, etc.)
23. Favorite type of filter? (Sponge, HOB, canister, etc.)
24. Do you start a siphon with a pump or with your mouth?
25. What do you think is the most beautiful fish?
26. What do you think is the most dangerous fish?
27. Best way to deal with an algae problem?
28. Natural or artificial decorations?
29. Saltwater, freshwater, or brackish?
30. How did you get into the aquarium hobby?
Here’s the majority of the stuff I got at Reefapalooza! There were so many great vendors. I got a lot of different sample products that I’m excited to try out! Some vendors that I talked with even gave me full size products.
Some that I’m most excited to try are the Hikari foods – they gave me a pack of their freshwater shrimp food! – and the Bug Bites color enhancing formula.
@letsgetsalty she’s the one in the top photo. That was their booth.